MAKES 1 large yogurt container-size tub of delicious mango sorbet (SERVES 6 people)
2 fresh ripe mangos (for more on fresh mango, see below)
1 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp. coconut milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 small container whipping cream (about 1 cup)
- Slice the mangos open and scoop out all of the fruit from the skins. Don’t forget to include fruit around the stone (a knife works well for this).
- Place the fruit in a food processor or blender. Add the sugar and blitz for 1 minute, or until the sugar has dissolved and you are left with a delicious mango puree.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice, and briefly blitz to combine (a few seconds). *At this point you can perform an optional step - see below.
- Pour the mango puree into a bowl or container while you continue to use your processor/blender. Scape down the sides and bottom with a rubber spatula to remove as much of the puree as possible.
- Now pour the whipping cream into the processor/blender. Blitz until the cream forms stiff peaks, or is quite stiff (not runny) when dipped into with your finger.
- Add the mango puree to the whipped cream and blitz 5-10 seconds, or until you get a good mango-cream consistency.
- Pour into a large yogurt container or similar size tub and place in the freezer. Allow to freeze at least 6 hours, preferably 8.
- Serve the mango sorbet in bowls, or scoop into ice cream cones for the kids. (To make scooping easier, take the sorbet out of the freezer 10 to 15 minutes ahead of time). Serving Tip: For an adult treat, try drizzling over a little coconut liqueur - great for serving at a dinner party!
Optional Step: Some people don’t want bits of mango pieces or mango fiber in their sorbet. I actually like it, as I find it enhances the taste of the sorbet, plus it’s healthy. But if you’d rather strain it out, here’s how: Between steps 3 and 4, pour the mango puree through a strainer placed over a bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to press the pulp against the bottom of the strainer in order to “wring out” every ounce of mango juice. Continue on with steps 4/5. ENJOY!