Today I made Soft Peanut Butter Brittle as well as Caramel Corn, Turtle Candies, and White Chocolate Covered Pretzels. It was a very productive day. Here is the recipe for the Soft Peanut Butter Brittle.
- 2 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Start heating the peanut butter over medium heat in a double boiler. Wouldn’t it figure, I don’t have a double boiler. So I make do with a regular pot of water with a bowl stuck in the top.
- While that is warming up and getting all creamy, combine the sugar and water in another pot over med-high hear. Stir it constantly. Once it starts to bubble, add the corn syrup.
- Continue to stir the sugar mixture. It’ll start to boil and that’s ok. Keep a candy thermometer in the pot. You want it to get to hard crack stage. Just before it gets to that point, dump in the vanilla and stir.
- In the meantime, add the peanuts to the peanut butter and stir it all together.
- Once your sugar mixture reaches hard crack stage, turn off the heat. This is where you are gonna need to work fast. Combine the PB mixture, the baking soda, and the sugar mixture in a large bowl and combine quickly. Dump it on a baking sheet that it lined with wax paper and spread it out.
- Allow it to cool completely and break it into bite sized pieces. Eat to your hearts content!